Thursday, January 13, 2005

United we stand…

And since I’m posting links, here is an extremely relevant link, being the web site for my union, the RBA. I’ve been a member for many years now and have often advocated membership to folk who ask – the more members then the stronger the union and the more it can ensure the welfare of the staff (plus previous generations of our family were miners and would never forgive me for not advocating unions).

It also means you have someone in your corner should you find yourself in an employment dispute – how prophetic that I felt this given the circumstances I found myself in! I’ve certainly had good support right from the get-go – I felt so freaked out when I was first suspended and sent home and I can honestly say I felt some relief once I had been in touch with the RBA, so you’ll forgive me for quite shamelessly plugging them here. The genially smiling Dave who is on the main page is the man who kindly accompanied me and supported me through my recent hearing and was a steady prop to me on a stressful day.

5 comments:

  1. It's always good to know you're not alone; and you're certainly not alone on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i stumbled onto your blog from the guardian article. just wanted to say take care and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likewise came upon your blog as a result of the recent media coveage. I always made a point of dropping the princess street branch when I'm in Edinburgh. I’ve been to many Author readings in the store and have enjoyed the selection of books on offer. As a result of your ridiculous dismissal however, I will now be boycotting both this store, my local Dublin stores and any store with Waterstones over the door. I've sent an email to manager@edinburghgeorgestreet.waterstones.co.uk
    stating the above. Not much but best i can do.
    Best of luck Joe,
    Julie Harper

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a "Hate Waterstone's day" where we all go in to our local shop, select some books, ask to speak to the manager and when he arrives ask him to "put them back".

    I guess we'd need some inside information as to what day this would cause most disruption, perhaps on a stock take day would be good.

    Apologies for the anonymous post but my company works for Waterstones and they'd sure as hell sack me if they knew I suggested this.

    Yours
    True coward who needs to keep her job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been following the coverage since I read about you in The Guardian. Find it all rather depressing that they took such draconian action, but I'm sure some good will come out of it...fame & fortune?

    On an entirely separate note, why don't you create your links so they spawn a new page rather than direct the reader away from yours? Just a suggestion, as you have so many and I think it detracts from a good read...

    Best of luck.

    Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete