Thursday, January 13, 2005

Latest links

I’ve been receiving comments and direct emails from a quite incredible number of people from around the world. Some of the most recent have come from Italy, Israel, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Brazil, Australia, China, all over the USA, Canada and Belgium (Michiel told me that a Belgian paper De Standaard not only published the story they ran a Dilbert cartoon next to it! Priceless - obviously they got the joking tone, unlike the company).

I was writing yesterday about the way in which I have always loved the connections you can make via the web. Distance and geographical borders are no impediment – communications flow as fast as Einstein’s rules will allow around the world. It looks as if even language is no longer the barrier it once was – barriers can be surmounted when we really feel we have to, physically and spiritually. It’s stimulating and humbling at the same time.

I’ve always enjoyed being part of the online community and the SF community, but never as much as now, despite the worries and travails which come with all that has happened. We may not think about it every day, but we should pause and consider from time to time just how marvellous it is that we can reach out to one another across distance and time. If it makes me feel like this I wonder how valuable it feels to those who are infirm or disabled or housebound? Those in more isolated areas?

Here are just a few of the latest links:

Fohla Online (Brazilian newspaper).

Nu.nl from the Netherlands.

Diverse Books.

The Blogger’s Rights Blog.

And closer to home here in Bonnie Scotland (and it is actually nice today – cold, crisp, clear, sunny and calm after the gales and storms. Not superstitious, but I do hope that this is a good omen!) from Scotland’s other quality broadsheet, The Herald, which has some very interesting angles on it on blogging, privacy, freedom and companies – worth reading for any bloggers actually (thanks to Bob for the link).

This link isn’t about me (good, some folk will say!), although it came to me via a nice letter of support (and some nice suggestions) from Jason, who is a presenter, journalist and musician. He is trying something very interesting in terms of making music and downloads which he hopes will benefit the victims of the recent tsunami, which has been another instance of the web and blogs being used to effect good.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug!

    -Queen of Sky
    http://queenofsky.journalspace.com/
    http://rights.journalspace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your site through an e-mail newsletter about IT Legal issues. Just wanted to add my two-penneth of support. Sounds like an over-reaction. Similar maons and rants about work can, no doubt, be heard in any pub in the land on a friday night.

    Rhea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Seems to me that your employer has proved your point by laying you off.

    Ger (Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine posted about your story on his blog, and I've been completely freaked out since then. See, I work for "Big Bookstore Corporation", and I blog about it. And unlike you, I can't even argue that my job is incidental to the blog. I mean, it's called "Disgruntled Bookseller" for Christ's sake! I've spent the last couple of hours pouring over the blog, deleting any shred of detail that might identify "Big Bookstore" or me; but in the end, I could still be ratted out to corporate HQ. The best I can hope to achieve is deniability. "Ereshkigal? Never heard of her!" (On the other hand, if being fired for my blog meant Charles Stross would come out swinging for me, it might be worth it. I so, so want to bear his children.)

    I sincerely hope that the publicity your story has garnered means that Waterstone's is forced to back down from it's ridiculous position. Better yet - perhaps you'll be offered a better job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe - when Helen worked with you at the East-end branch in the good old days in the early 90s , it really was a good bookstore, although the pay was crap. However, management took an interest in staff then and the working environment was pretty good, I'm sure you'll agree.

    It appears now that those working for the chain are being taken advantage of....still lousy wages (£12K p.a for a senior bookseller, after eleven years?), but they think they can get away with it, because people like you love books, are knowledgeable about what you do, and want to share that enthusiasm with others.

    That doesn't mean that they own you! And that's what you've shown them. Good for you. Keep on fighting the good fight and don't let the Bastards stone you.

    Sandy S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand literary license but common sense suggests it probably isn't a good idea to call your boss 'evil' on a public website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. missgien (http://www.missgien.net/weblog/) says:
    Another big Dutch e-zine picked up the story WebWereld (WebWorld) http://www.webwereld.nl/nieuws/20552.phtml

    Anyhow: I think it's competely insane that you got fired over your weblog! I've been a regular costumer at Waterstone's in Amsterdam, but that's over now! They will pay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.webwereld.nl/nieuws/20552.phtml

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Joe

    The correct spelling of the Brazilian newspaper you refer to is "Folha" not "Fohla".

    Yours sincerely

    Chief Commissioner of the Spelling Police

    ReplyDelete