Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tape loading error

This little site will seem all too familiar to those of us who had the old Sinclair ZX Spectrum, with its rubber keyboard and mighty 48K of RAM (yes, a whole 48K!!! Wow, what a jump up from my 16K on my TI99-4/A) as you can now relive the fun and games that was waiting ages for a huge 48K programme to load from the tape deck with that awful Sinclair screech only to get the 'tape loading error' message instead of launching into Manic Miner with its demonic lavatory pans with teeth chasing you (seriously).

Funny, I was thinking about changes in home tech recently - somehow over Xmas at home we were talking about old games and my dad said how much he liked the Western shootout game we used to play (on an old Phillips cartridge console, something like the G7000 I think it was called) despite the blocky graphics because it was a fun game for two players. Then someone mentioned the video tennis, Pong-type game we had before that. We went from that to the Phillips system with keyboard and cartridges, then I had my TI (my first proper home computer back in 1981 or thereabouts), Spectrum then much later my Atari ST - wow, this thing had a floppy drive!! No more tape deck for me! Cutting edge!! First PC to use at college in the 90s with a gargantuan 65 meg hard drive. A hard disc??? Wow!!! Of course, now my latest camera has more than a dozen times this memory than that whole computer and the flash drive I carry about, which is the size of a lip salve tube, is also far bigger. Based on this procession, does this mean I can look forward to a semi-intelligent computer able to control a holodeck for me in the next ten years or so? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment