Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Charlie Huston interview

I've just posted up an interview with Charlie Huston on the FPI blog, already an established author in the US for his Henry Thompson crime novels and now moving into a new vampire-noir-crime series featuring a character called Joe Pitt. The second book has just come out in the last few weeks in the States while my friends at Orbit are set to release the first one, Already Dead, in the UK in February - if you like vampire novels and want something a bit different I highly recommend it.



Charlie also made his comics debut in 2006 with the revamped Moon Knight for Marvel, with the first arc recently issued in a hardback collection, winning his quite a few plaudits. And I loved his answer when I asked him how he saw his interpretation of Marc Spector:

"He was always a visceral character to me, and I wanted to try and share that feeling with other readers. Violence, drug abuse, mental illness, moon copters, these are all visceral elements. I wanted Marc Spector to be a shambling mess of a human being who only comes alive, who only understands the world when he puts on a cowl and a cape and jumps out of a helicopter and lands knuckles first in someone’s fucking face."

Ah, superheroes, they are so noble...

3 comments:

  1. Out of pure inquisitiveness and curiosity how do you rate Brian Lumley's Necroscope books if you have read them. Sorry if I am being presumptuousin thinking you have read them but you certainly seem to be very au fait with novels of such genre and the likes; plus from what I have read on your blogs you certainly are a gentleman of good tastes and I heed your recommendations. Enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, those take me back a bit, long time since I read those. I think I read the first couple and found them to be kind of middling - certainly not bad, but not setting me alight either, although there were some interesting ideas and a fair bit of horror in there from what I dimly recall.

    If you enjoy vampire/Gothic novels but want something a bit different there was an excellent book a couple of years back called Sunshine by Robin McKinley; there's still a review I wrote of it on the Alien Online here: http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_060.asp?baa=1&tid=2&scid=16&iid=2688

    BTW, thanks for the flattery, never goes amiss :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joe, I have now read your excellent review of Sunshine by Robin McKinley and it certainly appeals.

    ReplyDelete