Sunday, January 28, 2007

Healthier religion


To comply with new government health guidelines on healthier, more informed eating, Communion Wafers will now adhere to the ‘traffic light’ system to alert consumers to salt and fat content. Communion wine will now come with the units of alcohol contained in it clearly marked. Churches will be encouraged to replace normal wafers with wholegrain versions to help fight heart disease. The practise imported from Mexico of offering a range of salsa and gaucamole dips for your Communion Wafers will be discouraged.

4 comments:

  1. No joke, there's been controversy over using gluten-free (wheat-free) communion wafers in the U.S. by people with allergies or celiac disease.

    This has communion "tortillas": http://www.livingwithout.com/features/feature-wheatfreeworship.html

    And a quick google gives me an article on the gluten-free communion wafer controversy:
    http://www.beliefnet.com/story/65/story_6516_1.html

    See? I wasn't joking. The effects of celiac disease (a wheat intolerance) can be fatal but some churches tell their parishioners it's wheat or nothing. If I were the religious type, that would be a clear message to me to seek spiritual community elsewhere.

    I only noticed the controversy because I'm allergic to wheat. It's bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about life, no matter how silly I get with a story there is usually a real life version that is dafter :-)

    I'm fine with the wheat, but I prefer malted wholegrain. And maybe a nice smoked vintage cheddar to go on the wafer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and single malt instead of red wine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheat is evil! Seriously, man, I stopped eating bread a couple of years back now, and as well as losing about a stone and a half, it takes at least four pints of fizzy lager or a two-day-old leftover curry before I even get close to having indigestion...

    ReplyDelete