Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Banning words

Some librarians in the US have decided to ban a new kid's book despite the fact that the book - The Higher Power of Lucky - has just won the prestigious Newberry Medal. Why? Well because of one word in the book - 'scrotum'. Yup, that's a good reason for librarians to censor what books are available... Bad enough numpties demand books be pulled from libraries because stories of wizards might lead their kids into Satanism (it won't, that's we have good old rock'n'roll for) or that schools should ban Fahrenheit 451, but it is incredibly sad to me to hear about fellow book professionals indulging in this, they should hand in their cardigans in shame.

1 comment:

  1. That really is pathetic, I wonder how long though, before this sort of attitude takes a firm grip in Britain as well?

    I would hope the British would be more sensible, but then I talk to Daily Mail readers and Sun readers and I despair.

    ReplyDelete