Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Final Shooting War

At last artist Dan Goldman dropped me a line to say that the final part of the webcomic incarnation of the bloody brilliant Shooting War is now online (poor Anthony writing it while moving into a new home and he still managed to put in topical references including one to recent Isreali attacks in the Lebanon). I was wondering how they would wrap it up without blowing the ending for the print version which is due in hardback next autumn, but they managed to do it in a way which leaves you begging to know more (the webcomic will be about a third of the finished print version I'm hearing).

Its got a good dose of tension, action and politics mixed with dark humour; a fundamentalist terrorist tells how he was about to shoot down the presidential plane years before but Allah appeared in a vision and told him this George Bush would be far more use to the cause of jihad if they let him live to cause trouble - funny but depressingly true at the same time. Its bloody good stuff and if you haven't tried it yet then go check it out, all the earlier parts are still up there on Smithmag.net.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    Just a quick note to say that I've been a supporter and admirer since I first heard of your difficulties with your former employers via the LiveJournal Booksellers Community. I used to work as a bookseller at the same branch as Dyfferent, (who runs the community) and have now moved to Head Office, but I continue to keep a keen eye on your blog and on various other literary blogs around the net. I've finally plucked up the courage to start one of my own at http://the-bibliovore.blogspot.com, but compared to a place like this which has been going for years, mine seems a pretty poor effort!

    Anyway, thanks for keeping everything so fresh and interesting and for voicing your opinions so unreservedly. I'm not sure why booksellers seem to be such a generally liberal bunch, but I was part of the "million-man" protest aginst the war in London and I couldn't agree more with your views of Bush, Blair, and terrible damage they've done in the past few years. Keep up the good work, and I'd be honoured if you'd drop by my blog and say hi some time!

    Cheers,
    Bibliovore

    ReplyDelete