Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Save the Caley Sample!

I meant to post on this a few days ago but it was taken off my mind by other events. When my drouthy cronie Gordon and I repaired to the Caledonian Sample Room recently we heard that the Caley Sample (the pub, not the excellent brewery along the road) was in serious danger of closing. This is a huge blow to we beer-bellied real ale drinkers of the Lothians as it is a mecca for us and for me and Gordon it is a really low blow because it also happens to be our favourite drinking hole in this side of the galaxy. If the Caley does go the Gorgie-Dalry-Polwarth triangle in Edinburgh loses a great place. Sure there are other bars nearby, quite a few of which I like drinking in and a couple aren't bad for proper beer (like the Golden Rule) but the Caley Sample is one of the best places to go and enjoy a really well-served pint of Deuchars IPA or Caledonian 80.

I like my favourite local and I like the friendly staff and I like the way they pour the locally-brewed fabulous beer properly and the barmaid will slip out a bowl of dog biccies for Gordon's pooch Bruce and I like the occassional music gig (Thin Lizzy tribute band a couple of weeks ago!! Rock on!). Anyone have a good idea how to save the Caley Sample Room then? Other than regular topless nights, which was my idea but didn't float (yeah, I was slightly drunk at the time but in all honesty I'd probably have suggested that when sober too, so can't blame the ale).

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the news. What lies behind it? And how many people do you think would be drawn in by the prospect of seeing you and Gordon topless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I gathered it was a case of high rent and not enough beer sales except on game days at Tynecastle or Murrayfield or when a live music night is on. Gordon and I have tried our best, but even we have limits on how much Caley 80 we can sink in a night.

    As for the topless night, it may not be a big draw, but perhaps I can use it in reverse - visit the Caley Sample Room or I will walk around this summer topless :-)

    ReplyDelete