Wednesday, May 3, 2006

No comment - yet

You may recall about a month ago on a post about the huge threat to civil liberties posed by the Blair government's ill-advised push on biometric ID cards which they wish to impose on British citizens (how such a scheme is going to work across many government minsitries and departments as well as police and local government when the folk most repsonsible for it at the Home Office have clearly shown they can't even talk to their own departments is beyond me). As part of the blog I posted a copy of the letter I emailed to my MP, Alistair Darling, who is a government minister who strongly supports the scheme. A couple of days later I received an acknowledgment from one of his assistants and an assurance of a response shortly. Several weeks later and still no reply. Perhaps he is busy helping is cabinet colleagues with damage control.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how much these schmoes are worth, particularly when they're being put on the spot. I remember seeing a TV piece on the north-east fishermen, and one was saying how the local MP was supporting them, but they didn't really expect much to come of it. Then he said how (in the 1920s?) when they were losing markets, their MP went to Russia to negotiate new ones. That's supporting your constituents. OK, there were actually fish to fish then, but anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emailed them again and got exactly the same response "thank you for your letter etc etc, a reply from your MP will follow shortly." Since I attached the original acknowledgment text in this reminder email it was especially amusing to see them simply repeat it. I think that speaks volumes in itself. I strongly suspect he will simply say he understands my concerns but really it is a wonderful scheme and here is why - assuming he ever responds.

    ReplyDelete