Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Royal Mail delivers...

I received two bits of mail in plastic bags this week - each came with a little letter from the Royal Mail apologising for the mail being overdue, damaged, delete as applicable and advising me to contact them if there was a problem. One was a letter from two years ago.

The other was a cardboard envelope that had been ripped open and pinched from. Empty except for an invoice for a DVD I never received which was dated December 2003... So, it had been opened and stolen from (if the package was ripped on a sorting machine the DVD would still have been in there - it had been ripped open and DVD taken out) and it was 2 years overdue! Nice one, Royal Mail!

Obviously things can go missing in transit, these things happen, but it takes real class to deliver a ripped-open package which has been pilfered from two years later, along with a note saying there may be a problem... Now that's class! Especially coming so soon after Royal Mail announced they had met most of their targets for the first time in years; of course since they only made those targets by doing things like abandoing second post and delivering most home post much later in the day a cynic may say they moved the goal posts a little...

6 comments:

  1. I've had numerous problems when birthday cards had been neatly opened and then resealed - someone obviously checking to see if there was any birthday cash inside. When I complained to the Royal Mail, they said that they were aware of "problems"... There's one way to get rid of the problem..sack the thieves!
    Did you complain about your missing DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a great urban myth about the little old lady that writes a postcard to Tony Blair asking for 100 pounds to help to feed her and her cat over the Winter. It gets noticed by someone in the sorting office who, knowing Tony will do bugger all, has a whip-round in the office and raises 50 pound which they send her anonymously.


    A week or so later they notice a reply from the old lady. "Dear Tony, thanks for the money. I'm sure you sent the full 100 but the thieving b*stards at the post office probably took the other 50"

    tickled me anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was living over at Fountainbridge I lost every single birthday present sent to me by my friends to some thieving wanker at the post office, which is why I do not own certain items of jewelary, the soundtrack to Dog Soldiers or Kill Bill on DVD. Bastards! Similar things happened to my flatmates who all had stuff stolen from them in the mail. We sent in numerous complaints and demands for compensation but we might as well have been petitioning God through prayer for all the results we got...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very interesting - because I also got a letter on Friday in a plastic bag saying the same thing "that it was damaged" - it was 5 months late. I am guessing that they have found a Royal Mail employee's stash of undelivered mail. It is no coincidence that my post is from the month that our regular postman was on holiday. You've prompted me to complain. I suggest that you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I complained about 5 (FIVE) letters going missing since January 2005 - to the same address - 3 of which were birthday cards. I got 5 gbp compensation plus a book of first class stamps! Now the recipient tells me that the postman complains because 'it is against the law to stick the stamp upside down'! Has anyone else heard of this one!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't we all hate the Royal Mail!?

    After many days and weeks and months of undelivered mail, i decided to start blogging it!

    I found this great site moblogUK that allows you to photoblog as i'm not the greatest writer in the world!

    My blog is open for everyone to add to just take a picture of your late, damaged or undelivered mail card and email it to:

    ransom@moblg.net

    I want to see this blog grow and grow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete