Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A morning of mists

Chilly in Edinburgh this morning, cold enough in the early morning and after sunset to see your breath; I can taste the winter on the air. Cold, but beautiful - the mist which often falls in Edinburgh, especially in autumn, lay over the city. By the time I was on Princes Street the sun was just barely above Castle Ridge; the Castle and buildings of the Old Town were faint through the mist, like fading dreams evaporating in the light of morning, or perhaps the reverse, perhaps the daytime city was dreaming itself into being as I watched. The copper-red sun struggled above Ridge, fuzzy and indistinct through the mist, making it glow like a living thing as it curled around old buildings, battlements and the peaks of Arthur's Seat. An hour later it was a clear, blue sky, crisp, sharp, as if the mist had never been, the world solid and defined, but I saw it change from dreamstate to waking world and know that both are, in their own ways, real and imaginary at the same time.

On the way home tonight the sun had just set, staining the sky red in the west; a darkening sky in the east and a huge, full moon rising in the sky even by 6 o'clock. The mist was rising once more, following the line of the setting sun, like a great, soft blanket being pulled over the city from east to west. The city changes again, slips herself into another form, another reality, another dream. All cities are both real and dream places, their ever-changing faces as much how we see them as any subjective view, presenting perspectives to those who will look and appreciate her special gifts.

3 comments:

  1. Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada. I happened upon your blog - I love your writing style, and you make Scotland sound much like Nova Scotia. Thanks for the descriptions! Someday I will find my way there, to explore for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for your kind compliments. I've never been to Nova Scotia, but from what I hear it is very similar to the west coast of Scotland. And of course there are plenty of Scots in Canada, including some of my own family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe
    My family name is MacLeod, so I have ties with Scotland from long ago. My father researched our entire lineage, and has a complete booklet of our past although I am not sure exactly when the first of my relative immigrated. Where in Canada are your family located?

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete