Monday, December 18, 2006

Happy Hogswatch

I've seen strange things over the years, but I never thought I'd see Sky actually making a decent programme (actually Sky just making any original programming instead of buying in all the time is pretty rare) but I have to hand it to them, they did a great job with a two-part adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. I thought Death and his grandaughter Susan looked very much as they do in the Paul Kidby's Art of Discworld while one certain buck-toothed City Watch man was so obviously Nobby. The odd bit wasn't quite right and the occasional special effect looked dodgy (mostly when you saw mini-people like the Verrucca Gnome), but overall it was pretty good, with Terry's mix of a good tale, knowing humour and fun too. And Death is always a good laugh; I wonder how he'd get on with Neil Gaiman's Death? That was good fun (and a nice little cameo from Terry himself); Happy Hogswatch, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Annoyed with myself that I missed it, maybe I can see a repeat.

    Was out having fun, but I wanted to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I very much enjoyed seeing this. All the characters were excellent (though I thought Nobby looked far too clean and human) and the scenes were extremely well done. However, I don't think it gelled. This could be due to the usual problems associated with making a film from a large book, but mostly I think it was because Pratchett's humour and story telling is more of a narrative thing and doesn't translate well to the screen.

    That aside, it was a damned good and honest effort.

    ReplyDelete