Sunday, November 14, 2004

Searching in the sand







Searching for Sandman and Death images from Neil Gaiman's excellent series I wandered all over the web looking for some decent scans from one of my favourite chapters, the standalone episode Ramadan. For those unfamiliar with the Sandman - shame on you, go out and start reading it right now, it is astonishing - the Ramadan issue was an incredibly magical Arabian Nights tale with a lovely little twist at the end which was both satisfying on a narrative level and on a contemporary world events level. The glorious artwork was by the great P Craig Russell and I was searching for some artwork to use as wallpaper. Alas I found no decent ones from this issue and ended up chasing a lot of dead links. If anyone does know where I can download some then please do let me know. However, as I searched away I chanced across links which mentioned P Craig Russell and Ramadan from a multiple-reviewer panel discussion Ariel, James Lovegrove and I had done for the Alien and a very old review of Hy Bender's Sandman Compaion I wrote on my old Library of Dreams site which is still there although I can no longer touch it. Funny how these things crop up. In Gladiator Maximus tells his men 'what we do echoes in eternity'. Today (or several years ago) the things you put up on the web echoe in virtuality...

No comments:

Post a Comment