Thursday, December 31, 2009

42

Today marks my 'Douglas Adams' birthday - 42. This, of course, means I now am perfectly at one with The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything. Mind you, as anyone who knows where their towel is can probably guess, I still don't understand the bloody Great Question, rendering it all pretty pointless (an apt metaphor for life, really - puzzling, frustrating, disappointing and pointless). At least I know my Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from my Old Janx Spirit. I'm not really sure how I come to find myself at this age. On the one hand it seems like just the other year I was a happy mid 20s student drinking my way through college and quite happy, other days it feels like a lifetime ago. I suppose it was. Can't say I especially feel like celebrating; truth be told I don't really give a damn about my birthday, its on such an awkward day its a bit of an afterthought so it hasn't really meant much to me in my adult years, different when you are a kid. And these days it doesn't feel like there's much reason to celebrate.



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Joe! I too turn 42 sometime this January. Thinking about it, 10 years ago I was 32, just out of my twenties. Now I'm in sight of my 50's. This is insane!

    ReplyDelete