Sunday, March 1, 2009

ahhh, Paris je t'aime

This time exactly a year ago I would have been sitting at pavement table in a brasserie in the Latin Quarter of beautiful Paris. I think that was the last time I can remember being really happy, blissfully unaware of what was waiting for me just a few weeks down the road. I don't mean I've been sitting around in sackcloth and ashes since we lost mum, I've gone out, I've done things and even laughed, but its all like little distractions and the great, dark centre is always there waiting and not a day goes past that it doesn't hit me like a hammer a dozen times and I don't feel like I'm really me anymore or will be again, just someone who looks like I used to going through the motions. And Paris has become larger in my head, not just because I love the city and its culture (of the two places I would most like to live in the whole world one is Paris, the other is right here in Edinburgh) but because it is that last time when I felt so freely happy and with what happened so soon afterwards Paris has come to mean something more to me emotionally, a precious space where everything was alright. Which probably sounds daft but its what I feel. Oh to be back not only in Paris but in that happy space instead of feeling like I'm going to fall apart endlessly through each, long day.

Rue Vavin and brasserie

2 comments:

  1. Then again, to have something like that to look back on must surely help through the bad times.

    My father is dying at the moment, unfortunately I don't have a "Paris" to fall back on. I do find myself focussing on tiny positives though, when things get really tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. It sounds like an incredibly painful loss. I hope you have someone to share this grief with and I hope that your pain will ease with time.

    ReplyDelete