Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy birthday, mum

Today should be my mum's birthday; it's the first since we lost her with such awful, shocking, sickening suddenness. Right now I should be getting a delighted phone call from her after she received the big bouquet of birthday flowers I'd always have sent to her. She loved getting that big bunch of birthday flowers and I loved how happy they made her. Sometimes they'd even still be in bloom when I went home for Christmas.

I'll never hear that ever again. Instead I'll be back through to Glasgow with dad and taking flowers to her grave. And I hate this. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. She should be here and she's not. I feel it every single day, a horrible ache inside, a weight on my spirit I can't lift, but this makes it worse and the imminent arrival of the Christmas period lurks around the corner like an unwanted visitor and how I hate the thought of Christmas without her. The world feels very cold and all there seems to be to look forward to is small diversions but no real delight.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, first awkward date. Been there, got the T-Shirt

    It gets easier my friend, but it always hurts somehow.

    Do me a favour Joe, try to remember the good times with your mum and try to not wallow.

    Hard to say what I really mean as I still hate the fact my mum died before she saw any of my three children.

    I suppose I am trying to relate what I have been through and offer sympathy but I can't, I know this day is going to be blody hard for you and I just want to say I know what youare feeling, and I am thinking of you.

    Take care mate. I offered a friendly ear before, take me up on it anytime.

    ReplyDelete