Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Random book meme

Yvonne tagged me for a random book meme. I don't often follow up on memes, but since this was a book based one I couldn't resist, so here's how it works:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

I'm guessing that to do it properly you have to indeed pick up the nearest book and not go rummaging for something you think will give you a cool quote; I picked up Bryan Talbot's excellent graphic novel Alice in Sunderland and page 123 just happens to be a page executed in a 19th century style of illustration quoting from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky:

"Beware the jubjub bird and shun the frumious Bandersnatch! He took his vorpal sword in hand: longtime the manxmome foe he sought. So rested he by the Tumtum tree and stood awhile in thought."

And I hereby tag Ariel, Jeff VanderMeer, Padraig, Richard Bruton and George Wakley: let me know in the comments if you decide to follow up on it, geezers. And if any of the rest of you fancy trying it, go ahead!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    Here's mine. Winner by 1cm over The Teaching Assistant's Handbook. (That would have been crap).

    Matt Kindt's Superspy

    Thank you so much for everything.
    Love, M.
    I really spend the days watching people.
    Or maybe I'm spending the days evaluating how and why I watch these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tagged you because it was a book meme :)

    Excellent choice, or lucky chance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Yvonne, I quite enjoyed that!

    Richard, good call, leafed through Super Spy a few short tales at a time over a few weeks last year and thought it was rather fine (although perhaps best read in small chunks like that)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, I'm in a bookshop full of secondhand books, so I closed my eyes and reached behind me, and found 'I Love, I Kill' by John Bingham, a Gollancz Thriller from 1968.

    "Who's that?"
    "Mrs. Wenham - from Mr. Standford's, Mr. Michael Standford," said the voice, louder and more insistently. "You better come, sir, he's queer, very queer."

    ReplyDelete