Friday, August 20, 2004

Vampire melody



Somehow news of this endeavour slipped past my normally excellent vamp-radar: a Broadway musical adaptation of Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat. By no less than Bernie Taupin and Elton John!!! I thought this sounded a bizarre combination until I thought more about Lestat's character on stage (in both the 20th and 18th centuries) and realised perhaps Elton might be right for it. According to this old article I dug up it isn't going to be a rock opera at least. I only found out about it when Neil Gaiman mentioned in his blog that the excellent Dave McKean was off to NYC to oversee artistic work for the production. Well, unless I suddenly come into some money and can take a wee holiday to NYC I think I'll have to wait for the touring production. In the meantime I think I'll start work on my very own Reduced Vampire Company's production of the entire Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles in 15 minutes for next year's Edinburgh Fringe. Don't shake your heads like that, it would probably be better than half the stuff which appears on the Fringe! Gothic ladies, I am holding open castings and am amenable to bribery. I have no casting couch, but I do have a very comfortable futon. I am indeed a thoroughly stylish and domesticated - if perverted - vamp about town.

1 comment:

  1. Now that would be an interesting site to see....so you're saying that Elton would play Lestat? Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that one...but the again I am sure it will spark some interesting debate.

    ReplyDelete