Tuesday, November 4, 2003

VC



Jeremy Clarkson - not one of my favourite people - presented an interesting programme on BBC2 about Major Cain, a Manxman who won the Victoria Cross during the ferocious battle in and around Arnhem (the famous/infamous ‘Bridge too Far’). Trying to look for a common theme to the winners of this most famous of medals all they could really find was extreme gallantry and also humility - most of them never talked about it. In fact it turned out Clarkson had married the major’s daughter (after his death in the 70s). She hadn’t known her father had won the VC until his memorial. The sheer bravery of these men is breath-taking, more often than not undertaking Herculean efforts in the face of the enemy to save their mates.



I have nothing but admiration for these ordinary men who performed super-human feats and am very aware of the enormous debt our society owes t them and their comrades who were not so decorated. Passing the little poppy-covered garden of remembrance in the shadow of the Scott Monument in Princes Street it’s not something you can forget, nor should we.



However, it would be nice to see a similar programme and other awards, such as the George Cross, being given in honour of other heroes who are equally modest but save lives. Why is it we do not so honour firefighters more regularly? Men and women who rush into a blazing inferno to save people. Ambulance crews? Often working in horrendous accident conditions, dealing with situations which would leave the rest of us traumatised with horror, yet they calmly get on with their job, trying to preserve human life. What about the folk who risk their health and life working in faraway countries trying to bring aid to those in need? The person who can make a well of clean drinking water is saving countless lives. What about teachers who inspired us? I can think on some I owe a debt too. Why don’t we honour the folk who give up their time to counsel people in their hour of desperate need? There are a million times the heroes in our everyday world than there are on battlefields and they are no less deserving. I strongly suspect many of those modest VC winners who were often simply trying to protect their comrades and mates would agree.

2 comments:

  1. I was struck with your article about the winning of the Victoria Cross in the First World War, by a Manxman named Cain. I met another Manxman who won the Victoria Cross in the First World War, and who lived in Los Angeles. This was about 1961. His name I think, was George Burt. I only knew him for about 4 years, then I moved to San Jose, about 350 miles away. I wonder though how many people on the Isle of Man, or even if the government know, two Manxmen were awarded the VC in the First World War. George was a great person, with a very interesting history. We got together through the introduction of a newspaper reporter from the Los Angeles Times, who recognised my speech pattern and knew I was from the Isle of Man, although I lived approx 4 years in Liverpool, before leaving for Canada, in 1952
    In regard to your article about honoring folk with medals who get killed in doing their work as cops or fire fighters etc., I do not agree. They volunteer for the type of employment, or endeavor they they are working, so it is silly to get a prize for volunteer work. Would a bus conductor get a medal for falling down the stairs of a double decker bus and getting killed? I know that would be an accident, but death is the great leveller. If you would like to know more about George Burt, please e-mail me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to correct an error I made in my earlier comment about the two Manxmen who won the Victoria Cross. George Burt won his medal in the battle for the Somme in the First World War, while Mr. Cain won his medal in the Battle at Arnhem (Sp)in the Second World War. Sorry for my goof. Blogger/Google

    ReplyDelete